“Every great design begins with an even better story.” Mamo
Design and technology is an inspiring, rigorous and practical subject. Using creativity and imagination, pupils will design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts, considering their own and others’ needs and wants. They acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art.. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the local and global community.
At St Mary’s our Design and Technology curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop the creative, technical and practical skills needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- can evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- pupils learn how to take risks, become resourceful, enterprising and innovative
- develop talents through local community and international links that also aim to inspire and aspire