“Sports do not build character. They reveal them.” Unknown
At St Mary’s we believe that a high- quality physical education curriculum inspires our pupils to succeed and excel in competitive activities and sports. It should provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health, fitness and wellbeing. Opportunities to compete in sport and other activities build social skills and help to embed values such as teamwork and sportsmanship. Pupils should be able to evaluate their own strengths and weaknesses as well as their peers.
At St Mary’s our Physical Education curriculum aims to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities with other local schools and community
- lead healthy and active lives.
- have opportunities to compete in sport and other activities that build and reveal character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect